About The Continental Gin Building
Facts About the Continental Gin Building
The Continental Gin Company complex was constructed over a period of years between 1888 and 1914.
During the height of cotton manufacturing 1/6th of the world’s cotton was produced within a 150-mile radius of the building.
After the Continental Gin Company closed in 1962, the facility became an elevator manufacturing company in 1963.
The Continental Gin complex was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Facts About the Continental Gin Artists
The Continental Gin Building was converted into artists spaces in 1982.
Bob Nunn (Studio 1C4), a local artist and long-term professor of painting at North Lake College, has been an anchor to the artist community in the building for over 30 years.
The Continental Gin Building has had as many as 63 artists working under its roof at one time.
The Continental Gin Building artists have hosted Open Studio events twice a year for over 20 years.